Abilities Solutions is a 501(c)(3), incorporated in 1963 in New Jersey to provide employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities and other barriers to full participation in the workforce.
We achieve our goals by partnering with employers throughout South Jersey, and by offering employees who are trained, mentored and motivated to succeed. We pride ourselves on our commitment to quality and individualized service.
Our Values Set Us Apart
Board members, staff, and volunteers of Abilities Solutions realize that each person is able to offer unique strengths and abilities. It is our privilege to nurture these abilities in order to promote dignity, develop talent, and encourage productive participation in the workforce.
We were founded in 1963 as the Occupational Training Center of Gloucester County by a group of parents who knew that their children would benefit by having the ability to work. We also realized that employers could benefit by having access to a dedicated, supervised workforce. In order to reflect these values, our name was soon changed to Abilities Center of Southern NJ, Inc. We quickly became known for our innovative community partnerships and employment placement services. One of the best-remembered examples of this was our small appliance repair service, which served the needs of the community while providing training and employment to individuals.
Although a tragic fire destroyed the building on January 9, 1970, we continued to grow. Today, we serve about 1,000 people with disabilities or other disadvantages each year. We partner with employers in South Jersey to identify job opportunities, and provide valuable workers for more than 200 businesses. In fact, we were one of the pioneers of the “Employment First” movement, and we remain committed to preserving employment opportunities for all in need.
Abilities Solutions is governed by a voluntary Board of Directors, with an appointed President and Chief Executive Officer to
oversee the operations.
Partners, Accreditations and Links
- Contracts with State of New Jersey – Departments of Labor, Human Services, and Education
- Partners with United Way of Gloucester County and United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southeastern NJ in Camden County
- Partners with Gloucester County College, Rowan University and Wilmington University
- Contracts with Gloucester County and Camden County Human Services
- Accredited by CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) in Vocational Assessment, Employee Development Services, Organizational Employment and Community Employment